NEX Birding - Spring Migration (55-210+DH1758)

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,162Gear list
Like?
NEX Birding - Spring Migration (55-210+DH1758)
Mar 27, 2013

Had another chance this weekend to get out birding with the NEX - I started Saturday with my DSLR in the morning to about 1pm - and as it had been approaching 90 degrees with summer-like humidity, I switched to the lighter and more portable NEX-5N with 55-210mm lens and DH1758 extender for the remainder of the day.  I went one more round at Green Cay Wetlands with the NEX, the same grounds I had just covered with the DSLR, then drove to the nearby Wakodahatchee Wetlands and made the rounds there with the NEX...this day, most of my shooting ended up being with the NEX, about 740 shots to about 170 with the DSLR.  The local birds are nesting, some waders are getting ready to leave, and the spring migrating birds have arrived from the Caribbean and are passing through...always a nice time for birding down here in Florida.  Here's what I got:

A lovely pair of ducks in flight passing by me - I tried to keep a slightly slower shutter speed to get some background motion blur as I panned with them

I had to 'thread the needle' with the AF through the reeds to catch this 'so ugly it's cute' moorhen chick

This younger 'teenage' purple gallinule is just starting to get his vivid bold colors that these birds are known for

A female red-winged blackbird hanging out in the shadows of the cypress forest - they're usually out in the swamps hanging off the reeds low by the water!

A least bittern walks down a reed to stay just above the water's surface, so he can hunt for fish without being noticed by the fish below

When he spots a fish, that neck starts to stretch, and the head hovers out over the point of attack

Works almost every time - you rarely see these guys miss!

Red-bellied woodpecker lurking up the side of a tree trunk in the shadows, looking for grubs in the bark

Another sneaky shadow bird - the female painted bunting loves to stay in the shadows, as you can tell by the ISO3200 required to shoot this little gal!

Red-bellied woodpecker gets a...hey, wait a minute! That's a sunflower seed!  Those don't hide in tree bark! Another bird had likely visited a feeder and come there to eat, and left behind a morsel

Comments, questions, critique welcomed as always.

Hope you enjoyed some more Florida birding, NEX style!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow