KingCharles
Regular MemberPosts: 150
Like?
Re: What makes more sense?
In reply to Simurgh, Mar 27, 2013

I was looking for two options :

1. Sony 50mm F1.8 E-Mount Lens

2. Sony High Zoom 55-210mm

What do you think which one makes more sense and is a better option?

I have both of these lenses so I will tell you how my experience has been.

50mm 1.8 - VERY sharp lens, great for low light/shallow depth work. If you want to do portraits or the 50mm length is good for you to use for your subjects in low light then this lens is a must have. The quality for the money is awesome.

55-210 - This lens is my go-to lens for walking around outside. I try to get a walk in once or twice a week on the trails around my house, and as long as I have decent light this lens pretty much stays on my camera the entire time. I will usually only take it off I am going to be doing wide angle landscape shots.

If you shoot indoor family shots where you are at least 3 feet from your subject, portraits, or often in low light and you can get away with shallow DOF I would go with the 50mm 1.8. It is a great outdoor lens too if you are fine with staying around 50mm. Then again outdoor 50mm shots can be handled by your 16-50, although it probably won't be quite as sharp.

If you are going to be walking around and taking pictures of flora and fauna, and don't want to get to close to them I would get the 55-210.

Overall I would say I have used the 55-210 more than the 50mm, but that is just because my walks produce more subjects for me to shoot than doing stuff around the house

Hope that helps!

-- hide signature --

Charles

edit* for typo

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow