Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
KennyXL
Regular MemberPosts: 361Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 18-300 over Tamron 18-270
In reply to Lowells, Mar 27, 2013

Lowells wrote:

I got a chance for the first time today to check out the Nikon 18-300 lens

I went to my local camera store and he put it on a D7000 which I own.

Yes, its a bit heavy but did not have any problems handling it. I do own

a Tamron 18-270 VC lens( the second version) and I thought about changing

to the Nikon lens. I  would only get a bit more reach with the Nikon ( 419 for the Tamron to 450 for the Nikon. And  the rebates  end  on the 30th and I heard that  Nikon is not going to extend  the rebates after the 30th of this month. Not sure what I should do.

It's been a while since I've owned the Tamron of which you speak, but I do own the Nikon 18-300mm now.  As I recall the the Tamron's aperture was 3.5-6.3 while the Nikon's is 3.5-5.6.  Not a huge difference, but in a darker environment, every little bit helps so the Nikon wins on that one.  Also, I recall the Tamron tended to hunt more in darker places than the Nikon.  They both do the back and forth seeking focus, but I get the impression that the Nikon did less of it.  If you're going to get it, now would be a good time.  I bought the Nikon when it came out for $999 before tax.  With the rebate, it's a steal.  However, now that I'm mulling over a move to full frame in about a year, I slightly regret selling my Nikon 28-300mm.

KennyXL's gear list:KennyXL's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow