Why I'm sending back my X100S (autofocus)

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sulis2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,042
Like?
Re: Why I'm sending back my X100S (autofocus)
In reply to mr moonlight, Mar 27, 2013

Thank you all for your comments. I absolutely admit that my technique was not great, especially for the first shot - but this was an unexpected opportunity, and I had only just pulled the camera from my coat pocket.

Yes, there is some camera shake in the first shot - less in the second - but in the second shot focus is clearly visible on the right hand side. I felt happy being at f4, as I wanted some separation between the subjects and the cluttered background. I could see that the shutter speed was around 1/200, which seemed fine at the time, too.

In retrospect, of course I should have kept the camera a bit stiller, but I don't think that would have stopped it being a nice grabbed shot (when the baby smiles). And, yes - perhaps the focus box could have been smaller (though it was absolutely filled with the man and baby, with only the tiny gap between them). Could I be sure that a smaller AF box still wouldn't have looked through that tiny gap? Nope.

Ultimately, though, for me it still means that getting impromptu shots like that become far harder than they need to be. If I'd had my X100 instead, I would have been using Manual Focus and used the AFL button to grab focus and then shot like that - and it would have been more likely to work.

So "better" AF is no good to me if it means missing dead straight shots. It either has to be rock solid or I'll use MF (and stick to my X100).

-- hide signature --

Edit: Thank you, Zack, for taking the time to pass on your experience! I do see that focusing elsewhere would have been better (and that means a smaller focus box). With a small subject like the baby's head I would still be nervous that I'd got it right unless the focus box was very small indeed - and I didn't feel I had time to go through the button presses to make it smaller at the time... I will try using a smaller box for a while!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow