Why I'm sending back my X100S (autofocus)

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,589
Like?
Re: Why I'm sending back my X100S (autofocus)
In reply to nixda, Mar 27, 2013

With the first image shot at 1/200 you can expect some motion blur since both you and the subject are moving. The focus point is slightly in front of the subject where there's nothing for the camera to focus on so it was probably a case of the distance becoming less from the time of focus to the click of the shutter. At f4 your DOF was likely around 4' so a half a footstep could bring you out of focus. If you shot it at ISO 1600, 1/500 and f/8 you'd get the same exposure, but no motion blur and a over twice the DOF. That would have solved the problem.

The second shot is basically the same, but the camera locked focus on something in the background. Likely the other guy carrying a kid. As others have suggested, a smaller focus box would have solved this issue.

I have to agree with the OP though that focus with the X100 is a little tricky and on rare occasion I still miss focus. Mainly because I misjudged the point of most contrast when my focus box was too big. For shots where I have time to adjust my settings, focus is always perfect. For shots that are on the fly, I have more misses if my settings aren't what they should be.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow