What would be a good basic lens collection?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kokeen4231
Contributing MemberPosts: 605Gear list
Like?
Re: What would be a good basic lens collection?
In reply to GreenMountainGirl, Mar 27, 2013

As a basic lens collection, I would recommend starting with three lenses.

1) Wide angle lens for landscape. Tokina 11-16 F2.8. I personally feel the need for wide angles whenever you are on trips and just want some scenery. The f2.8 in the tokina may not seem like it would be of any use for landscapes but you never know what you need.

2) Middle range lens for street and people photography. A 24-70 F2.8 lens. Or if you are on budget, a sigma 17-70 would be good. Normally, a prime lens would be more suitable for such subjects but as you expressed you interest more towards wildlife and perhaps people as secondary interests, I think you would be able to live with the zooms. You get slightly less sharpness and light but more versatility.

3) A telephoto. Something up to at least 300mm. Depends on your needs and budget.

You mentioned you alr have the 18-105mm. Thats a pretty good glass, living up to the Nikon standard. Unless you feel you need more in that range then I recommend you sell this for a 24-70. The telephoto you have is a basic one. If you feel you need more focusing speed or sharpness, then I suggest you upgrade to a 70 300. I can't comment too much on macros but I have to say I live on 24 70 for macro in the past.

Kokeen4231's gear list:Kokeen4231's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow