Best camera for backpack style traveling?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HelloThereAll
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Best camera for backpack style traveling?
Mar 27, 2013

Hi everyone!

I will be traveling to Thailand during their hot/humid time of year and am shopping for a new camera that is backpacker friendly for this and other future 'light packing' trips. As much as I love my older dslr's manual controls and versatility, I can't bring myself to take it with me because of the bulk factor. I have considered bridge cameras, mirrorless interchangable lense cameras, and newer dslr's that are smaller in size, but I am not limited to those options. Some of the things I'm taking into consideration:

-Smaller packing footprint for camera and lenses (if there are any).

-Needs to be able to handle humidity, but not necessarily needing to be weather sealed.

-Traveling with a few people who will likely be using the camera as well and they'd prefer something with easy auto functions or modes that produce good quality photos. I'm willing to sacrifice full manual control for this travel camera, but would like at least some manual capability for my use.

-Fairly good no flash, hand-held, low light photo quality for indoor and post sunset situations.

-Trying to keep the total cost (excluding additional batteries and memory that I know I'll have to stock up on) under $800.

Any suggestions for cameras, lenses, etc. would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow