Good 50mm Lens For Sony Nex ... on a Budget?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,163Gear list
Like?
Re: Good 50mm Lens For Sony Nex ... on a Budget?
In reply to Louno, Mar 27, 2013

Louno wrote:

I want very sharp image with shallow depth of field and nice "creamy" bokeh, all this on a budget, is it possible?

Yes, for a total of about $30 ($20 for lens + $10 for adapter, including shipping, from eBay).

This topic comes up all the time. Basically, nearly any "fast 50" is quite good. I'd avoid lenses in mounts that carry artificial price premiums (e.g., Nikon mount lenses are more expensive because they will work on Nikon DSLRs, not just mirrorless bodies). An M42 Takumar 55mm f/1.8 or MC Rokkor 50mm f/1.7 would be a dirt cheap, yet excellent, starting point for shopping... but see what you can get for the best price and then check reviews.

I see there are some other adapters for around 15-30$ and for many different mount types... Are there some type of adapter that are considered more "versatile" or give access to the most variety of quality lens on a budget and that work well with the NEX system?

The last few adapters I've bought via eBay cost about $10 each (shipped from inside the US) -- and all work fine. It's getting to be a non-issue, unlike a couple of years ago.

It seems pretty easy to manual focus with the "focus peaking" feature...?

Absolutely easy, fast, and accurate. However, getting high accuracy without going into a magnified view can take a little practice (learning to estimate the "center depth" of a peaked region).

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow