I think Thom was right, again...

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Just a Photographer
Contributing MemberPosts: 971Gear list
Like?
+1 You hit the nail!
In reply to antoineb, Mar 27, 2013

antoineb wrote:

I beg to differ:  this "Thom" was apparently not aware he was comparing an immature technology, Digital, with a very mature one, Film.

Fully agree!

Because Digital is (or at least was) still relatively immature, new cameras have tended to bring REAL benefits.

Indeed

But personally I think this is going away quickly:  my D7000 from 2010is still serving me well, has quite good IQ, and 16mp of resolution is plenty.  And the D7100 brings nothing more, and retains horribly slow CDAF and no AF in video.  So I likely won't upgrade this year, and likely not next year and so on.

Very right as technology progresses and camera's have (nearly) all the features you want, there is not much need to upgrade your camera anymore.

In your case the D700 was launched in 2008.  YOU bought one only in 2010, and you decided to upgrade in 2013 which makes 5 years from the launch date.

Yup instead of upgrading every 3 years, you'll now start to see the shift towards only upgrading to a new camera after 5-7 years. In 5-7 years time from now I think the want to upgrade will become even longer as the camera you'll buy by then can already do so many things that there is just no real need anymore. Camera's are now becoming mature products.
What we have witnessed over the last few years was the baby-boom of digital camera technology.

This "Thom" should have thought about that.

I think he didn't ever thought about it.

Just a Photographer's gear list:Just a Photographer's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Duh!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow