Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
fad
fad
Forum ProPosts: 12,050Gear list
Re: But to those who yield, he is much more gentle
In reply to hexar, Mar 27, 2013

hexar wrote:

Frank, what is your drive to get so deep into the intimacy of  couples like this ?   Would a pic like this not be only  of value for those exposed ?   What is your point capturing  and saving   isolated  exposures of these couples ?   I would feel myself a bit too much voyeur  rather than photograper in  situations like this .   Nothing  offending but just curious ?

cheers

HEXAR

We all see photos, from time to time, of things that make us uncomfortable.   What this would be varies from person to person.   "Sensitive" issues like sex, religion and politics are often involved.   I, like all the early reviewers, am personally turned off by Robert Frank entitling his contentious, outsider looking in masterpiece "The Americans."   I find it an intellectual and artistic slur (in the way I don't find Wm Klein's self-professed anti-Americanism at all offensive, because it has love.)

But while I may express my feelings, and have, and wish he had not chosen such a bigoted point of view, and I think it shows him to have a stunted imagination, I have never questioned the value of his exercising his artistic freedom.   That is an artist's choice and prerogative.   No one has a right to question this.

Likewise, if you and your wife are made uncomfortable by couples kissing, or my shots of same, that's perfectly valid and no one can question that.   Likewise if you think that they lack artistic interest.   That's valuable to hear.

But we should never question a fellow artist's choice of what to photograph.   That is sacred ground.

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow