What I learned from Gollywop -- and what I wonder

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
richarddd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,681Gear list
Like?
Re: What I learned from Gollywop -- and what I wonder
In reply to Anders W, Mar 27, 2013

Anders W wrote:

Practice makes perfect though. That's why it is important to think and talk about it. Some people are wont to say that "theoretical" discussions of the present kind are of no help in the field. I think it's exactly the other way. Only by thinking and talking about it will you eventually know exactly what to do in the field, and do so intuitively and instantly. For example, I know "without thinking" when it's the proper time to switch from ISO 200 to ISO 400 on my E-M5 when I am out taking pictures. But I do so only because I have exercised my thinking about the matter quite a bit beforehand.

There are two ways to figure out how to proceed in the field (1) have a good set of rules telling you how to behave and (2) have a good set of underlying principles from which you can derive such rules.  They are clearly not mutually exclusive.

As an illustration, please summarize when you would and when you would not increase from ISO 200 to 400 on your E-M5. For example, are there cases in which you would increase ISO to 400 even though you could increase exposure without sacrificing desired DOF or blur control, or cases when you would not increase ISO to 400 even though you are at maximum exposure consistent with desired DOF and blur control and could increase ISO without clipping highlights with detail you would like to preserve?

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BothNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow