I think Thom was right, again...

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: I think Thom was right, again... exactly and want vs need
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, Mar 27, 2013

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Ignoring cost I find modern digital cameras produce much better quality than film in almost every situation.

Making a digital print is much more expensive than doing it wet because of the extortionate price of inkjet ink.

Before I got married if the washing machine broke my father bought a new one. Now I am married I buy a new washing machine about every 10 years. When I put the ring on her finger I had no idea how expensive ladies shoes were, or how often a new pair was "essential'.

Everything has a running cost, including occasional computer and software updates shooting digital.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Everything does have a cost. Photography now is to me MUCH cheaper than film, indeed why I was able to get back into it as a hobbyist.

I recently got a used D300, it is an excellent camera, and the only 'need' to upgrade will be if it breaks.

I also have three wonderful manual focus lenses, 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4 and 105 2.5, and a macro 55 3.5 and a 75-150 3.5 for landscape and close up work.

Do I NEED more....maybe a nice wide angle zoom would help in some instances, but not necessary for me to enjoy the hobby, I already have three great primes of a good range focal length and a bit more.

But, I do not per se NEED more. I would LIKE  80-200 2.8 AF-D.

But it boils down to choice.

If one wants a D800 that is a CHOICE. Albeit pros may need it for weddings and studio..(to get the best possible resolution, rendition, whatever as state of the art) .but for that it is a depreciable work tool, just as a mechanic has his equipment.

I was somewhere recently, a flower show and a girl said, 'that hobby can get expensive'.

Maybe. But one likes a little joy in life, what do we do, sit twiddling our thumbs?

And its a darn sight cheaper than golf, car hobbies, sailing.....etc etc... Of course, if you are the type who wants a D4, D800, D600, D7100 and 60 lenses, its is not that cheap, but more power to you. That is your business.

We only have a short time in the world, we do what we must and if we can,  what we want.

I would only say, if you WANT that camrera, that lens, that golf club, whatever, within reason to not put yourself into the hole, GO FOR IT.

It is all perspective.

-- hide signature --

.....Just from an amateur......''Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy.” I am only a hoobyist, I cannot and do not give expert advice, dont expect it, just take it as a suggestion to think about, but only if you wish to. We should try to not wait for life to happen, while it passes us by.

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Duh!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow