Started Mar 24, 2013 | Questions thread
SimonOL
Contributing MemberPosts: 835Gear list
Like?
Re: What makes more sense?
In reply to Simurgh, Mar 27, 2013

Simurgh wrote:

Hi Keith, thanks for the input.

I am aware of the fact these two are completely different lenses.

I was thinking what might be better a start up combination. I am tempted by the zoom lens but it seems the people use prime more often.

It depends if you need a long zoom lens. I'm guessing the NEX-6 isn't your first camera?! When you shot with your previous camera, did you use the zoom capability on a regular basis. Do you find the range of the kit lens limiting; do you often find yourself wanting to zoom in further than is possible with the 16-50mm lens?

The 50mm 1.8 prime would be a good choice if you do lots of portraits in low light situations - it would be much better at this type of shooting than the kit lens, partly due to superior image quality but mostly because it is a much faster lens (much larger aperture) thereby allowing more hand held shots in limited light conditions without having to use the flash.

Which lens would suit your style of shooting?

SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow