[Recommended/Cheap] External LCD Monitor, please ????? (GH3)

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
RickPick
Contributing MemberPosts: 777Gear list
Like?
Re: [Recommended/Cheap] External LCD Monitor, please ????? (GH3)
In reply to Elmasito, Mar 27, 2013

The "Lilliput" screens are good for a cheap monitor. I have not found any comparable screens at as low a price. I have just received a 7 inch model called the "Lilliput 5D-ii/O/P - 7" HDMI field monitor". The O/P is important as it indicates the monitor has focus peaking, false colour etc, which you may want for video work. Hence, you should not buy from Amazon which doesn't seem to carry these models. I bought mine from Liiliput Direct,which carries the whole range and covers all of Europe.

These monitors are not full HD resolution, having a native res of 1024×600. However, the one I bought has 1:1 pixel mapping, which means you can crop in to the pixel level for critical focus.

The monitor is well made and comes with a DC adapter, sun shade, an HDMI cable which will fit your camera and a robust looking hot shoe mount. I would not mount the monitor on a GH3 however as it would be unbalanced and quite possibly strain the hotshoe, which is reported to have failed several users. You will also need some kind of clamp or arm to mount the monitor on a tripod. (Lilliput sell a 7 and an 11 inch model.)

Two battery plates are included which fit Sony batteries F970 and LP-E6. Two other plates are available separately. I bought the "Mini External Battery" pack which unfortunately doesn't come with any means of fixing to the monitor as I had assumed! I will try velcro strips or I suppose buy a supported video camera battery.

Functions such as peaking and 1:1 pixel mapping have dedicated function buttons. Colour is adjustable. All in all I am quite pleased with this for the price. I have no doubt a Sony 7 inch is better but at almost 10 x the price it ought to be!

Rick

<edit> Just noticed that the Lilliput monitor arms do not have a tripod clamp but also fit the camera hotshoe. Going to look for a suitable clamp.

RickPick's gear list:RickPick's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow