zoranT
Contributing MemberPosts: 890
Like?
Re: RX100: Confusion about video formats & compression
In reply to Stephen McDonald, Mar 27, 2013

Stephen McDonald wrote:

zoranT wrote:

You guys should read the first post after this link:

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/1955-sony-rx100-getting-the-best-video-out-of-it/

It includes impressive samples that explain a lot about RX100 video optimization. And it appears that the RX100 does record in 25p/30p and only wraps it into 50i/60i.

But still it does not help, since each time you have to open it in an NLE to watch the videos. Why they need interlacing is beyond me - it s a thing from TV's past...

The discussion seems to have shifted to the processes and problems of displaying video. But the important issue is really how the video was shot. With 60p scanning and recording, there is only half as much time between frames, so skew, juddering and other motion-related artifacts don't develop into what can be perceived. Even if the video is converted to 60i or 30p later, if it was shot in 60p, most, if not all of the artifacts are not visible in playback. This is based on what I have observed with my own videos, not on anything that is outdated and theoretical.

Don't overlook that twice as many pixels and frames are detected, processed and recorded with 60p. Anything that converts 30p or 60i into 60p in processing, is doing it with interpolation, doubled lines or frames. Video shot in 60p consists of all-real frames, always a better way of doing it, if the equipment, CoDec and bit-rate is adequate. Why would anyone want to spend money on an expensive system and use a time-consuming process to produce 60p from a lower frame-rate, when it can be shot in a very workable form, by certain new camera models?

The link above was more about how to get the most 'cinematic' settings with the RX100, and this is why it contemplated about grading the video image in post-processing or using 30p instead of 60p. In PAL you can have 25p, which is close to movie-loving ideal of 24p. 60p does look smooth but also very 'technological' in some respect - this is another discussion that involves taste etc.

It is also interesting to learn that with 50i (=25p) you get the best video-image quality per frame, since each frame is less compressed than in 50p (resp. 60p).

But since interlaced storage creates more workload it makes sense to contemplate about whether it is worth or not.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow