My HS50 EXR - Impressions ...

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Lloydy
Forum ProPosts: 18,857Gear list
Like?
Adam ...
In reply to AdamT, Mar 27, 2013

AdamT wrote:

Thanks for your honest appraisal - the fact is that despite being 4th generation on paper, it`s only 2nd generation sensor wise (there hasn`t been any evidence that the sensor is any different from the 3yr old HS20 sensor) and a 2nd generation of body (there was the HS10/20/30 body/lens and now the 50) .. Fuji haven`t upgraded things since the 20 IQ wise - sadly when they made the 50 (the real second generation) they didn`t give it a new sensor such as an X-Trans AND went on an NR Binge across their whole camera range (ruining the JPG output from the X10 nd X100S along the way) ..

... I was basing my comment about the 'new sensor' based on Fuji's statements about it being a new EXR CMOS II sensor.

I`m amazed you`ve not landed an XS1 Dave - you don`t need loads of resolution (even the HS cams were enough) and its hardly, if any bigger than the HS50 and the quality is in another universe .. The HS10/20/30 had the advantage of putting a very handleable manual camera in a small package, the 50 lost that size advantage, do you really need 1000mm - can `t cropping a far better quality 600mm suffice ? .

I did look at the XS1 several times, but that was when i still had the S100 fs. After that was stolen I decided to get the HS30 EXR simply as a stop gap measure until I decided what to get. I ended up getting an X-E1 but, at present, only have the 18-55 mm lens for it.

The HS30 EXR may be handle-able but I find it less comfortable than the HS50 EXR. I actually quite enjoy using it. It's just that the IQ is not in the league I expected it would be.

Do I need 1,000 mm ? Of courseĀ 

Seriously, you are quite right - Cropping a good image would be better.

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

-- hide signature --

Dave

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow