Nikon 1 V1 reliability (I'm a sucker for a discounted V1)

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 2,342
Like?
Nikon 1 V1 reliability (I'm a sucker for a discounted V1)
Mar 27, 2013

I'm a sucker for a sale.

Some things I noticed today, the first day I got my V1 (the latest in a line of cameras I must buy, apparently)

* It's heaver than I thought

* Screen is nicer than I thought.

* it's the first time I've ever seen what looks like a bit of actual grease on the shiny metal lens mount on a new camera that's factory fresh.

* the very thin MADE IN CHINA sticker on the bottom looks like it will come off easily, while the large Nikon sticker on the bottom (which is affixed to a depressed area of the base, unlike the MADE IN CHINA sticker) mentions their Japan roots (and that sure doesn't seem like it's going anywhere but doesn't mention country of origin). Perhaps that is Nikon's goal. But that's getting off the topic.

But what concerns me is it runs hot.

I don't like things that run hot, and I believe they are less reliable. Just like with laptops that are fitted with more advanced graphics cards and processors, heat can sometimes become a problem, and these models often die sooner.

I have just looked this up and others have noticed it getting warm too:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3138007

Mine was getting warm by just taking a few photos indoors, not in any rapid succession and not with the flash and not by doing any video (I tried video later; the slow motion mode is impressive).

Some have had reliability issues with this model.

Is there an up-to-date advisory or something regarding the V1?

I would love to have mine not go back to any service center (ever).

Nikon 1 V1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow