Good 50mm Lens For Sony Nex ... on a Budget?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jefenator
Senior MemberPosts: 1,394Gear list
Like?
Re: Good 50mm Lens For Sony Nex ... on a Budget?
In reply to Louno, Mar 27, 2013

50mm lenses for old 35mm SLRs are THE most common and inexpensive thing out there. And many cheap adapters work just fine. Here's an old Minolta MC-Rokkor 50/1.4 I got for $15 with an adapter I got for $18.

Minolta MC-Rokkor 50mm 1:1.4 at f/2

I actually like the BOKEH better at f/2 and the sharpness really snaps in. (Has that dreamy, hazy quality wide open like most fast lenses do.)

There are some lemons out there, like my Minolta MD (not Rokkor) 50mm 1:1.7 or an old Chinon I tried out. There's also sample variation - the two lenses I just mentioned still have fans.

My advice is to get your hands on a few different old "nifty fifties", paying as little as possible (thrift stores still have them sometimes and of course Craigslist - watch out for fungus on inner surfaces and sticky apertures). Try a few out and run with your favorite! 

For product photography, I'm big on using macro lenses. They might cost a bit more and be slower but they're usually sharp, distortion-free and they focus nice and close!

Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS M Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow