Why I Prefer the E-5 over the OM-D

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
faith_ps
Senior MemberPosts: 1,102Gear list
Like?
Re: Why I Prefer the E-5 over the OM-D
In reply to GNapp Studios, Mar 27, 2013

GNapp Studios wrote:

The OM-D is great...it probably saved the Olympus camera division and I thank the camera for that.

But I prefer the E-5 for 2 reasons.  Most important, the E-5 shoots at a low ISO of 100 while the OM-D only goes as low as ISO 200.  In outdoor shooting  when I am trying to overpower the sun with strobes, that is critical.  I wish the E-5 had a low ISO of 50.

Yes. I can understand about the OMD's sily ISO200. They could make ISO100 but why didn't they?

Second, the E-5 has an amazing battery life.  I can get about 300 more shots on a fully charged battery with the E-5 than the OM-D.

Agree. WIth OMD, when the shooting get more intense and frequent, you always worry about the battery level turning red so soon.

My comparisons show no difference in the quality of the shot from ISO 1600 down.  At ISO 3200 the OM-D has less noise and slightly more vibrant colors.  I rarely shoot even above ISO 800 but even at 3200 I can use a noise program and punch the colors up with AfterShot Pro so the images look excellent.

If one can keep iso below 1600, E5 would make better choice. Also an E5 with SHGs is a very powerful tool for stage performance photography. OMD has super faster autofocusing but with the limited lens lineup. For a longer reach there isn't any lens longer than 100mm which has bigger aperture than f4 yet. Like the 50-200SWD f2.8-3.5. So for stage performance photography E5 + SHGs is the ultimate choice for me.

Jakop

-- hide signature --

The saxophone is a very interesting machine, but I'm more interested in music.
Steve Lacy quotes

faith_ps's gear list:faith_ps's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP3 Merrill Leica X Vario Olympus Stylus 1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow