Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,971
Like?
Re: I think Thom was right, again...
In reply to MikeInIndy, Mar 27, 2013

MikeInIndy wrote:

I disagree, my math:

D200 - bought for 600 on BBY clearance, sold for 250 net to me (yeah this one skews things a bit, but if I had started later with a used body I could have kept the math in this ballpark)

D300 - bought for 650 used, sold for 450 net to me

So I've invested 550 dollars in 2 camera bodies that I put just over 30,000 frames on, or about 2 cents a shot.  Any prints I chose to print would obviously go up drastically in price, but all the losers go in the bin without that extra cost of prints I don't want etc.  Even if I had printed every shot to date I'd still be a few cents a frame ahead of film, assuming I used standard quality 4x6s.

As someone who shoots for pleasure and not professionally, I don't have to have the very latest and greatest equipment nor the most expensive. I have found dslr photography to be a heck of a deal:

Bought a Canon XSi (12.2mp) a few years ago. With two kit zooms and a kit 50mm f/1.8 and some assorted things like filters and camera bag and spare battery, stuff like that, my total investment came to under $1000. Last fall I was able to buy a T3i (18mp) with the two kit zooms and an excellent color photo printer for $599 after rebate, a steal. BUT I didn't need the two zoom lenses (already had them) and I didn't need to keep the XSi body, so I sold those off, and when all was said and done I had added all of $137 to my investment. And I was up to a fairly recent dslr body and had a very nice printer in the bargain.

When I see how people buy camera after camera, even bridge or point/shoots, it amazes me how much cheaper a dslr can be.

Would I shoot less and better with film?  Sure.

You would shoot less, but getting less practice would have made you less of a photographer. Digital gave me the chance to really practice shooting without having to spend a fortune on photos that were just practice shots.

-- hide signature --

It's nice to say that nice pictures are nice.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Duh!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow