What would be a good basic lens collection?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
nelsonal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,456Gear list
Like?
Re: What would be a good basic lens collection?
In reply to GreenMountainGirl, Mar 27, 2013

A caveat, I'm probably the exact opposite of you, I shoot mostly primes, and have collected several lenses that are the same or very close in focal length.  Worst are portraitish lengths (for me 90-135mm) I use choose between depending on subject, look, or even how I feel at the time.

That said, I think you're well on your way to a very good basic collection.  From scratch my first choice is probably be an 18-55 and 55-200 (very similar to your 18-105 and 55-300).  I think Thom Hogan sums up my thoughts better than I would:

http://bythom.com/rationallenses.htm

The economy DX kit is about 1/3 of the way down.  Beyond those, and perhaps a 35mm prime it requires a big increase in budget to buy increasingly modest additional performance.  The kit will obviously lack large apertures, though high ISO, flash, or a judicious addition of primes could both serve as fine ways of solving that issue.  I'd supplement those with his suggested 35mm and probably a longer prime (your choice of 50, 85, or 100mm).  A 300mm is a great lens though somewhat more of a specialty lens but a fine addition to fill a role as your kit becomes more specialized.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow