DPR's downhill slide continues with the Sony NEX 6 Review.

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chillgreg
Contributing MemberPosts: 960Gear list
Like?
DPR's downhill slide continues with the Sony NEX 6 Review.
Mar 27, 2013

There's already plenty of threads and discussion on the validity and merit of the 6'sĀ Silver score, so no need to rehash that.

No personal offense to Jeff, but this review is long, predictable, repetitive and boring. Pretty much no different than an amalgam of a dozen of other-site reviews over the past 6 months. No interesting field-test video which is becoming very popular across all categories of electronics. Even the focus on controlled studio benchmarking has been dulled. The good ol' battery and body size comparison charts have gone too have you noticed?

But instead it's the same tired old format, 3 pages of menu listings, which honestly its pretty easy to find the user manual online if you're after that depth of minutia before you buy something; so DPR providing a link would take 1 minute, instead of the several hours it would take to do this. The conclusion is almost a verbatim copy and paste of the review content!

DPR's buddies at DXO Labs like to point out that comparing different sensor sizes and resolutions without equivalency resizing is pointless. If that is true, then what good are the DPR comparison tools actually for if they can't be relied on to produce print equivalent results? Steve Huff to name one also espouses the same point. When resized for example, the NEX 7 has equivalent high-ISO results to the 5R/6.

The 6 may share the same chassis as the 7, but the 7 is about to be replaced with a new model, and the 6 shares far more in common with the 5R (and even the 3N).

It is understandable that the majority prefer the built in flash, EVF, larger grip and mode dial of the 6. See what Sony did there? They catered to 2 subsets of buyers in the one market. While forum dwellers and bloggers love to kick Sony in the nads for releasing too many bodies over lenses, what puts money in (struggling) Sony's coffers now to fund lens development is to sell lots and lots of bodies and accessories.

It seems that the mirrorless market is broadly split into enthusiasts (often more senior and semi-pro/pro SLR/DSLR users), and amateurs (often younger, smartphone touting and P&S/High-End P&S converts). For once I think that Sony was especially clever releasing the 5R and 6 almost back to back. The 7 is expensive and has limitations which are a turn-off to some. (trolls begone it's true). I bought the 5R cause I wanted the touchscreen and svelte size and sexier body. If the eggheads at $ony sold the 5R+16-50 in the USA as they do in the rest of the world they would have a (2nd) runaway success.

A much more interesting and relevant review could have been a dual-test with the 5R and 6, and a bevy of lenses, say kit 16-50, the 24 CV, 35/1.8 and a couple of nice legacy primes. Which would cover the usage patterns of not all, but surely a large portion of the enthusiast mirrorless owners and buyers. How bout sending out 2 guys/gals for the week in a real-world on-site interesting-and-different-location-for-each-review field test?

For some reviews a DPR member owner could be invited along for a day, for some owners impressions (some car mags do this). And concurrently make a vid-doc with the same cameras as well. Now that would be a sophisticated, highly-engaging and unique REVIEW. Which when combined with the traditional and reliable studio testing provide a really content-wealthy point-of-difference for DPR that few if any competitors or pumped up bloggers have the resources or know-how to match.

Agree/disagree that's fine. But there's no denying the consistent and common call from readers for DPR to produce more reviews, more frequently. Or just be honest and change the name to Digital Photographic Preview. ;p

To Simon, I have no doubt that the DPR office is filled with diligent, hard-working professional journalists and support staff of the highest character and credibility. It's also obvious how complex and comprehensive the IT side of your organisation is, their output and quality is not at all to be underestimated. Your desire is of course to create new innovative tools and sections (eg Connect) and maintain readership of your site for the owners.

But I argue that the underlying ethos; the key tenet of DPR has been, and still should be, the strongest, most thorough, interesting, informative and engaging possible reviews available of photographic equipment. It's not just about keeping up with the Jones's, now that any armchair expert has access to publishing tools and data that was the exclusive domain of multinational publishing houses not so very long ago at all.

I encourage you to take some risks and break some moulds, to re-examine the purview, methodologies and spectrum that DPR encompasses in order to not just maintain, but to advance the mantle of the world's best photographic enthusiast website.

Sincerely

Greg

PS I'm a big fan and love DPR for many years or I wouldn't be bothered taking the time to write this.

PPS No troll posts about being grateful because its free please.

chillgreg's gear list:chillgreg's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX100 II
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow