Warning. Honest.

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
raymondg
Contributing MemberPosts: 514Gear list
Like?
Re: My Approach
In reply to Timothy Dunnigan, Mar 27, 2013

Here is my approach. I copy the Raw+JPEGs from the card to a USD Drive. I then copy the USB Drive to NAS with Raid. Only then do I delete the files on the card. I started with a 160Gb USB hard drive. When that was full I bought a 320Gb USB drive and copied all the files off the 160 to the 320. I then disconnected the 160 put this away as an archive. When the 320 became full I copied all the files across to a 1 Tb USB drive and kept the 320 as a second backup. When the 1Tb became full (last week) I bought a 4Tb USB 3 drive and repeated the process. So I have several backup generations and the cost is really minimal as Moore's law means I paid less for the 4Tb drive than I did for my first 160Gb drive. I backup the files I work on on NAS and USB but I will always have the originals in several places when the inevitable happens. I do not store any photos on my computers. That makes it really easy when I upgrade. I also use multiple computers 1, desktop and 2 laptops so sharing between these is so easy. Very flexible.

-- hide signature --
 raymondg's gear list:raymondg's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow