What would be a good basic lens collection?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
happysnapper64
Senior MemberPosts: 3,865Gear list
Like?
Re: What would be a good basic lens collection?
In reply to GreenMountainGirl, Mar 27, 2013

GreenMountainGirl wrote:

I have noticed that among the photographers on these forums, many have a huge variety of lenses (and multiple cameras).  Some have remarked that they bought several in the process of looking for the "right" lens of a particular kind.  There also appears to be a lot of overlap of range in the lenses people own, which I do not understand why that is.  I would like to avoid this, but would like to work toward owning an assortment that would cover the most important bases.  The budget is not unlimited, but over time I can probably get most.

My camera is a Nikon D7000, and in general prefer to stay with Nikon lenses.  The lenses I own now (bought to learn on) are the 18-105mm VR DX AFS f/3.5-5.6 and the 55-300mm VR DX AFS f/4.5-5.6.  For future purposes, I am considering a prime lens f/1.8 (probably 50mm, recommendations welcomed), a macro lens (probably 105mm), and (much later) a 300mm f/4 with a teleconverter.

I take pictures of a variety of subjects.  Mostly wildlife/birds, but also landscapes and plants/flowers, portraits (people and pets), ready to start macro.

Thank you.

-- hide signature --

GreenMountainGirl

Hi, GMG. I have Canon gear, & bought the Canon 100f/2.8 macro [non L] but was very tempted, & still am, to get the Sigma 105 macro. Cheaper than the Canon L & Nikon offerings, but the reviews were promising. I really love macro. You can achieve stunning abstract images with a good lens & a little imagination. Look up Bryan Petersons you tube video tutorials, also a site called "Try my shot.com" Be careful if you try the flame shot with lighter fuel. I nearly set fire to the cat when she got a bit TOO curious!!!!

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow