Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mskad
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,329Gear list
Like?
Nikon 18-35mm G User Review
Mar 27, 2013

Today I received the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Lens. Since I know that a lot of people here are on the fence about this lens, and because of the very few reviews (if any) available online, I decided to take it for a quick test and post my very superficial initial impressions along with few sample images (all taken with Nikon D600).

The short version: I can't believe it's not butter! The images I've got after playing with it for 1 hour of so are way beyond my expectation. Sharp across the frame (except the very extreme corners, and I really mean extreme), great colors, great macro and micro contrast, accurate fast and silent AF, unbelievable flare resistance (may be even better than the nano coated Nikon 28mm G), light and compact but doesn't feel cheap at all and very smooth and well damped zoom action. And also, great for close-ups.

Unless I am missing something (which is very possible since I only had the lens for few hours), this might quickly become the new reference in the "affordable" UWA zoom lens category.

I tested the lens with the sun in the frame and there is absolutely no flare at all. Also, no purple fringing. As for CA, they disappear completely and magically in Lightroom. Even vignetting seems to be on the low side. Distortion is of course there, but it doesn't bother me and in any case it should be pretty easy to build a profile for this lens in Lightroom.

Close up performance is great and shows amazing details and again, no visible CA. Even out of focus rendering seems to be pretty good, may be better (more neutral) than what I am getting with the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 lens.

Here are some more images, all taken with Nikon D600, handheld and processed with Lightroom. Comments and questions are welcome.

mskad's gear list:mskad's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D600
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow