What would be a good basic lens collection?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GreenMountainGirl
Contributing MemberPosts: 667Gear list
Like?
What would be a good basic lens collection?
Mar 27, 2013

I have noticed that among the photographers on these forums, many have a huge variety of lenses (and multiple cameras).  Some have remarked that they bought several in the process of looking for the "right" lens of a particular kind.  There also appears to be a lot of overlap of range in the lenses people own, which I do not understand why that is.  I would like to avoid this, but would like to work toward owning an assortment that would cover the most important bases.  The budget is not unlimited, but over time I can probably get most.

My camera is a Nikon D7000, and in general prefer to stay with Nikon lenses.  The lenses I own now (bought to learn on) are the 18-105mm VR DX AFS f/3.5-5.6 and the 55-300mm VR DX AFS f/4.5-5.6.  For future purposes, I am considering a prime lens f/1.8 (probably 50mm, recommendations welcomed), a macro lens (probably 105mm), and (much later) a 300mm f/4 with a teleconverter.

I take pictures of a variety of subjects.  Mostly wildlife/birds, but also landscapes and plants/flowers, portraits (people and pets), ready to start macro.

Thank you.

-- hide signature --

GreenMountainGirl

GreenMountainGirl's gear list:GreenMountainGirl's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +2 more
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow