What I learned from Gollywop -- and what I wonder

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,723Gear list
Like?
Re: Many thanks to Golly, Bowie, and Tex -- very illuminating!
In reply to texinwien, Mar 27, 2013

texinwien wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

In fact, it is right on the money of what I have been thinking about and doing more and more of with my E-PL3 -- paying a lot of attention to the histogram and to getting the highlights up to the right end since the E-PL3 doesn’t take kindly at all to under exposure (and is pretty desperate at 800 ISO in my view -- not that that worries me at all).

I can then mess with the histogram (or even -- extreme, edgy stuff -- the curves!!!) in PP to darken the pic a bit or whatever.

It will be interesting to hear how this works for you. Would you plan on shooting RAW then and applying the curves to the RAW? Or still going with JPEG only?

I'll stick with JPEGs for most of whast I do -- they do the job. I am looking at some other stuff and also there are a few situations where I might start switching to RAW+JPEG and see how I go there.

Something my focus on the highlights has made me more conscious of is which highlights I might be clipping. Do they matter?

This is one thing I love about the live view blinkies on the E-M5 (and I guess the other two newest Olympus models). They'll tell you which highlights are in danger of clipping, and you can decide whether you're worried about them or not.

I know what you mean. Panny has them too -- I inadvrtently switched them on, once, on the G1 and went crazy trying to switch them off. I thought the camera had gone faulty! (Well, until I read the manual.)

But I find the blinkies distracting with live subjects, so I switch them off and work out what’s going on, e.g. there's a long lead to the right and the subject if backlit with some sky in the pic? Those highlights are the sky. Decide about ignoring them.

I have now learned to scan the pic for highlights and shadows -- and on occasion, to let those highlights blow so important matter is lifted out of the shadows into the mid tones.

Thanks again all three -- I see more clearly now (but I will continue in JPEG where possible!)

Glad my restatement was clear, and I also hope it passes muster with those who're way more informed than I.

Have fun, and let us know how it works out for you!

Thanks, Tex, I will.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BothNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow