Windows 8

Started Mar 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
migibson99
Regular MemberPosts: 211
Like?
Re: "bean counters" are working hard
In reply to Sean Nelson, Mar 27, 2013

My expectation is that over time desktop computers, and Microsoft with them, are going to become a niche market primarily for content producers

Respectfully disagree.  While many see the rise of tablet computing as a sign that desktops are on the way out, I don't see it that way.  I think desktops/laptops will continue to be an important part of the business world for MANY years to come.  I am in a non technical field, yet I could not/would not do my job on a tablet alone.   I definitely use a tablet as one of the tools in my tool belt, but certainly not the only tool.

I think tablets will compliment, but not replace desktops and laptops for the foreseeable future.  The day that tablets take over the computing world entirely will be the day that tablets can do absolutely everything that a desktop or laptop can do, with absolutely no compromises.  Until that day, I believe that desktops and laptops will be more than a niche.

Imagine a computer hat has all the speed, all the power, and all the storage capacity of a high performance desktop, but with the footprint of a tablet.  Also imagine that you could use this computer as a stand alone device, or wirelessly connect to a keyboard and big screen monitor.  THAT would be a desktop/laptop killer for sure.  Will we ever get to that point?  I bet we do, but I don't think we're even close to seeing that device.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow