Why I Prefer the E-5 over the OM-D

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
alatchin
Contributing MemberPosts: 772Gear list
Like?
Re: Why I Prefer the E-5 over the OM-D
In reply to GNapp Studios, Mar 27, 2013

GNapp Studios wrote:

The OM-D is great...it probably saved the Olympus camera division and I thank the camera for that.

But I prefer the E-5 for 2 reasons.  Most important, the E-5 shoots at a low ISO of 100 while the OM-D only goes as low as ISO 200.  In outdoor shooting  when I am trying to overpower the sun with strobes, that is critical.  I wish the E-5 had a low ISO of 50.

I have to agree with you here, I dont know the science behind it, but I am expecting ISO 100 at the very least for the E-7.

Second, the E-5 has an amazing battery life.  I can get about 300 more shots on a fully charged battery with the E-5 than the OM-D.

True, but with the Adapter and second battery the OMD doesnt do too badly, especially if you dont chimp too much.

My comparisons show no difference in the quality of the shot from ISO 1600 down.  At ISO 3200 the OM-D has less noise and slightly more vibrant colors.  I rarely shoot even above ISO 800 but even at 3200 I can use a noise program and punch the colors up with AfterShot Pro so the images look excellent.

I was thinking about buying the Merril 3 (the macro) for its detail for some of my work... but when comparing it to ISO 100 on the E-5 the detail really isnt too different. I keep "almost" buying an E-5... but then thinking I should just hold on. It produces such wonderful files, and I am getting itchy for some SWD AF

-- hide signature --

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
blog.alatchinphotography(dot)com

alatchin's gear list:alatchin's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow