Sony Zeiss 24mm - What is so special?

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jefenator
Senior MemberPosts: 1,403Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony Zeiss 24mm - What is so special?
In reply to DRode, Mar 27, 2013

IME the SEL24 brings a few things to the table.

For starters, there's speed. Folks will pay a real pretty penny for that extra stop and a third over 2.8 and I can see why - I really enjoy having the extra speed and shallow focus depth. (I love the Sigmas too but f/2.8 does seem a bit workmanlike, especially in a normal-range prime...)

Then there's the character. I find the SEL24 has great personality with lots of "snap". There's some contrast and vitality that my legacy 24s don't seem to have, along with an organic quality the Sigmas don't quite have.

I'd say the Sigma 30 is slightly more clinically sharp but the SEL24 is still great.

The build quality is worth something, and don't forget the close focus capability.

Would I like to see it go for less? Sure, but compared against other good fast wide primes for other systems, I think the price and size point is actually not too bad.

Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS M Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow