Started Mar 27, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
blooze
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
Pan/Tilt Head or Geared Head recommendation
Mar 27, 2013

I picked up a Manfrotto 055XPROB set of legs a while back and have decided that I'd like a 3W pan/tilt or geared head.  I've never shot sports or action of any type and don't expect I'll be picking that up anytime soon.  Most of my shots are close-up, landscape, and some architecture.  If I'm using a tripod, then I'm not in a hurry to compose the shot.  I've fiddled with a few ballheads and I can see the reason to like them, but they were a PITA to get the last little bit of adjustment right.

The Manfrotto has a rating of a little over 15 lbs.  Right now the heaviest rig I might be using is a Nikon D200 with the MB-D200 battery pack, an SB-800 flash, and a 300mm F4--which comes in at about 6.5 lbs.  95% of the time it would be without the flash or battery pack though.  I would also like to use a Pentax 645N or similar MF film camera in the future.  The rest of the fleet is just 35mm SLR's and a couple of TLR's.

I've looked at the Manfrotto 410 and 808RC4, although I like that the 410 can be converted to use A-S plates and clamp.  Both of these are fairly heavy and cut down on the overall weight limits quite a bit.

Any other suggestions in the $250 or less range?

-- hide signature --

www.rollinghillsimagery.com

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow