Food for thought - FF vs M4/3's cost

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
windsprite
Senior MemberPosts: 2,051Gear list
Like?
Re: Food for thought - FF vs M4/3's cost
In reply to papillon_65, Mar 27, 2013

papillon_65 wrote:

Hi Ted, thanks for your thoughts, I've pretty much done exactly as you suggested except I have plumped for the 5DII and 24-105mm and it's sitting here in my hands. I've kept back my 40-150mm and 45mm F1.8 lenses and we'll see how it pans out. I have to say that the shutter on the Canon isn't exactly discrete but I'll get over it :-). The focusing on the Canon also seems fine to me, heard a lot of bad things about it but it seems very quick and accurate so far.

Well, it'll be interesting to see what you think about FF after you've used it for a while.

I can't say that I was "tempted" by FF, because I kind of went the other way.  I shot four thirds for a while, then got a D700, then added a G2 later, because I wanted to use my FT lenses on a newer sensor, plus I was curious about the MFT format.  I also got a Panny 14-45, which is a nice lens.

I'll never get rid of the FF camera, because I shoot a lot of moving subjects.  I also enjoy having the option to go very shallow on the DOF, even with wide angle lenses, and I enjoy shooting after dark.  Shutter speeds can get too slow with slow lenses and IS, so I like having the larger sensor and a wide range of fast lenses to choose from.

There are several MFT lenses I would like to have, as well as an E-M5, but my funds are limited, and after the initial G2 purchase, I've found that I end up spending my money on FF every time.  The D700 is just a very nice camera to use.  I upgraded bodies every year while I was shooting four thirds, always looking for something "better," but finally the D700 is one that I want to stick with for a while.  It has been three years so far, and I'll be happy to use it for another two or three years at the very least.  The IQ is great.  The focus is fast and accurate.  I like using an OVF.   The variety of lenses available is more interesting to me than MFT ... and they are very often cheaper.  Of course I would love to have an Oly 75/.18, but having both systems, I can't help but think, "I can take essentially the same image with a $300 180/2.8 on my D700."

I'm not saying FF is the only way to go, and the size is definitely not for everybody, but the system just works for me.  I am a middle-aged woman, not at all fit or athletic, but I will keep carrying the D700 as long as I can, and it's not as hard as some people here make out.  There are MFT users who have just one or two primes for their walkabout kit; why can't FF users do the same?   There's no law saying you have to carry the "holy trinity" of f/2.8 zooms all the time.

Since I'm shooting Nikon, I can only comment on third-party lenses, but the 28-75 is really nice, especially considering the price, size, and weight (all about the same as the Oly 14-54).  It looks like you've already opted for a normal zoom from Canon, though.

rrr_hhh also recommended the Tamron 90mm macro above, and again I agree.  A very sharp lens, with beautiful bokeh for portraits.

As far as a fast 50, I don't know what the Canon choices are like, but I settled on the Sigma 50/1.4, because of the super-creamy bokeh.  It is a big, heavy lens for what it is, but I'm stuck carrying it a lot of the time, because I love the IQ.

For UWA, the Sigma 12-24 is very interesting.  I don't think you would like it because it also has purple blob issues, and it needs to be stopped down quite a bit.  However, I love that lens.  There's something undefinable about the IQ that I find pleasing, and 12mm is fun to play with.  It's scary how well corrected it is.  You almost don't even feel you're shooting with an extreme UWA.  (The MkII version seems like a better lens overall, but it is less well corrected -- though still pretty good.)

The Sigma 28/1.8 macro is another fun lens, as it allows for shallow DOF with a wide angle.

The Tamron 28-300 VC is my "P&S" lens.  It is also similar in size and weight to the Oly 14-54.  You can get one for $300.  It's not the best lens, but you can get "sharp enough" images out of it (A3 prints are fine), and the Tamron VC is pretty amazing.  I use it mainly for dog walks and other times when I can't change lenses.

Every system has its pluses and minuses.  You might as well give Canon FF a try and see if it works for you.  The only problem is, the more you try, the more picky and demanding you become, because you have seen the best traits of every system and know what is possible!

Julie

windsprite's gear list:windsprite's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D2H Nikon D300 +36 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow