Mirrorless Recommendation ( Sony Vs Olympus? )

Started Mar 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,228Gear list
Like?
Re: Mirrorless Recommendation ( Sony Vs Olympus? )
In reply to Louno, Mar 26, 2013

Louno wrote:

Concerning Image stabilization, well, i'm not sure what to think of it... with the sony kit lens the stabilisation is in the lens so its not an issue, but what if I buy a non-stabilized lens... olympus has it in-body which I find is an advantage, however the sony handles low light better and I can set the iso higher without noise, would this counteract the olympus in-body stabilization advantage ?

Thanks all

Personally, I would rather have IS than not. However, with faster lenses and sensors that are more capable, you can easily overcome lack of IS/OS. Of course, IS/OS can't help against motion blur. With shorter focal lengths, there is virtually no need for it. At 35mm or so, a faster lens does more (non-issue with Sony E-mount lenses as 35mm and up have OSS). And even if you choose a non-stabilized lens (like I have, using my A-mount 35mm 1.8 on NEX), OS is mostly unnecessary. In fact, I haven't felt the need for it on even my Zeiss 50/1.7.

Ultimately, you may end up being happy with either. The more substantial difference will be in subjective value of greater control of DoF, better high ISO performance, color depth and dynamic range (with larger sensor in Sony). The Olympus may be marginally better in AF speed, but if you are into manual focusing, Sony has Focus Peaking. You can also address your need for speed that the Olympus can't match, and put even NEX-3N in DSLR/DSLT performance category via LA-EA2 adapter for longer zooms for occasions you may want... albeit requiring additional investment on both, the adapter and A-mount lenses.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow