What I learned from Gollywop -- and what I wonder

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Hen3ry
Forum ProPosts: 10,412Gear list
Like?
Many thanks to Golly, Bowie, and Tex -- very illuminating!
In reply to bowportes, Mar 26, 2013

I have to (shamefacedly) admit that Golly's post left me floundering. About a quarter of the way through, I staggered to halt, blamed it all on the fact that he was talking ab out RAW when I am a JPEG shooter, and went outside to take a picture -- a nice simple one with lots of light around!

My apologies, Golly, I should have tried harder.

Now that Bowie has interpreted it and Tex polished it a little, I grok it. Thanks to you both.

In fact, it is right on the money of what I have been thinking about and doing more and more of with my E-PL3 -- paying a lot of attention to the histogram and to getting the highlights up to the right end since the E-PL3 doesn’t take kindly at all to under exposure (and is pretty desperate at 800 ISO in my view -- not that that worries me at all).

I can then mess with the histogram (or even -- extreme, edgy stuff -- the curves!!!) in PP to darken the pic a bit or whatever.

Something my focus on the highlights has made me more conscious of is which highlights I might be clipping. Do they matter? From time to time I had been disappointed by results in "correctly" exposed pix where preserving the highlights had pushed more important stuff into nether world of Oly 12 MPX JPEG shadows.

I have now learned to scan the pic for highlights and shadows -- and on occasion, to let those highlights blow so important matter is lifted out of the shadows into the mid tones.

Thanks again all three -- I see more clearly now (but I will continue in JPEG where possible!)

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BothNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow