Mirrorless Recommendation ( Sony Vs Olympus? )

Started Mar 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Louno
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?
Re: Mirrorless Recommendation ( Sony Vs Olympus? )
In reply to Louno, Mar 26, 2013

Hi Everyone,
Wow thanks for all the information, I didnt expect this much feedback, I have read all your comments but am still undecided, it seem there is no clear winner between the NEX-3N and E-PM2. Both are 500$, so there is no price advantage with either one.

Some of you suggested I go with the olympus in order to be able to add a flash unit but to me personally flash is not an issue... For food photos we have a continuous lighting setup already so we never use flash. For other purposes I don't think i'd buy a flash unit anyways as I rarely use it in general, actually the only time I used the built-in flash with my Nikon P300 or previous cameras was for fill lighting ( backlight mode ) for bright sunny scenes where there was too much light behind the subject or casting very harsh shadows. So to me, in terms of flash, the NEX-3N has a small advantage as its built-in, so always available, if ever I want it, without adding bulk.

In terms of focusing speed, which one would be faster ? Right now this is one area of the Nikon P300 I don't like at all... For food photos, I know focus speed is not an issue has nothing is moving, but it would help when taking pictures of other things in general (for example I take way too many pictures of my cat, half of them are blurry cuz he cant stay still for long)
In terms of lens availability, although olympus has more choice, there are also quite a variety of lens available for nex when you consider using adapters, although, I would rather not use adapters to minimize bulk, its still an option and am seriously considering it (for either camera) as I have a friend that could sell me his AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D lens for really cheap. As I mentionned earlier too, overall the lens choice issue alone shouldnt be over-rated, realistically I dont think i'll ever need more than 1-3 lens more than the kit lens... another point being made is that m43 lenses are generally smaller and lighter, perhaps they are lighter but I find that the size issue is not as clear cut, for example with the kit lenses on, the sony nex-3n is more compact than the e-pm2 and they both have very similar lens range... which leads me to the next subject...

Concerning the kit lens, is any of the 2 camera's kit lens good enough for my purposes ? I want really sharp lens with shallow depth of field and nice bokeh. Which of the 2 camera would be better suited for this ? I've read that the 16-50mm powerzoom kit lens from sony is surprisingly decent quality but there is very heavy distortion at 16mm... if shooting in jpeg mode this is automatically corrected by the camera ( apparently very well ) but what if I want to shoot RAW ?... I also dont get this distortion issue, isnt it normal to have distortion when shooting with lens at wide angle, not only normal but kind of somewhat desired effect? When I use my nikon at its lowest zoom ( 4.3mm ) I know that there is distortion due to the wide angle, so i use that when shooting landscapes or interiors and simply zoom in more when shooting people or food ( as you generally dont want distortion on those)... So is this the same with the sony kit lens or are we talking about an abnormal/problematic level of distortion? Anyways, I know I cant expect miracle from a kit lens but if one camera has a considerably better kit lens then to me that seems like a good advantage as I wont necessarily need to buy additional lens right away.

In terms of features, the sony lacks a tactile screen, how big of an issue is this ? These are lower-end mirrorless camera so they have less buttons/controls on the body, so I would assume having a touch screen a considerable advantage? On higher priced models this might not be so and the touch screen might even be disabled as it might be more a nuisance than help, but what about these models?

Concerning Image stabilization, well, i'm not sure what to think of it... with the sony kit lens the stabilisation is in the lens so its not an issue, but what if I buy a non-stabilized lens... olympus has it in-body which I find is an advantage, however the sony handles low light better and I can set the iso higher without noise, would this counteract the olympus in-body stabilization advantage ?

Thanks all

Louno's gear list:Louno's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow