Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,388Gear list
Like?
Re: Warning. Honest.
In reply to Santelia, Mar 26, 2013

Santelia wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Apple has a wonderful, transparent solution called Time Machine that automatically backs up your hard drive over a wired or wireless network. No muss, no fuss, and no special software required. It just works. Hard drive crashed? No problem! Just pop in a blank drive, hold down the option key while booting, then select your network backup and BAM - you will be automatically restored to your new drive and back up and running within 20 minutes.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

Well, like I said . . .

Time Machine is not an online backup service. It is an automatic backup system that is built into Mac OS X Leopard, and comes standard on new Mac computers. Instead of backing up your files online, Time Machine copies your documents onto an external hard drive. Time Machine is similar to an online backup service in that it works automatically in the background, and requires no actions or interference from you after the initial set up process.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve, so time machine will handle the back up without much effort however if the external drive used for the back up fails; disaster strikes.

If BOTH the internal and external drives fail at exactly the same time, that would be true. If my external drive fails, I buy another. A better solution, but somewhat time consuming, is to use an external and the cloud.

If cloud back up is not an option then back up to 2 HD's might be the alternative? Hoping that if one fails the second one is working fine.
Scary thought I have about 28,000 pics.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow