Sony Zeiss 24mm - What is so special?

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,505Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony Zeiss 24mm - What is so special?
In reply to El Matadurr, Mar 26, 2013

El Matadurr wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

DRode wrote:

What makes this lens particularly desirable? Ignoring the famous name for a moment, what does this lens bring to the table that makes it worth over $1,000.

I've been fairly impressed with the 35mm f1/.8. It's sharp, fast focuses accurately and low distortion and CA and, unlike the Zeiss, has OSS.

The Sigma 19m and 30mm bracket the 24mm focal length. They are not stabilized either. But they are small lightweight and perform well. The 30mm appears to be especially sharp. Either lens can be had for under $200 and the soon to be released refreshed lenses might be better.

I've seen some images from the Zeiss that were very nice. Some were excellent. However, I've seen excellent images from all of the lenses mentioned above. What I'm trying to understand is what make the Zeiss worth 2x, 3x even 5x as much?

-- hide signature --

On line, monitor based, reviewing of images make all lenses look similar.

View at your own monitor, at 100%, you begin to appreciate the differences.

Especially with the Nex-7 higher resolving power.

But even then, the Sigma 30 has been tested to resolve even better than the Zeiss.

matthewdurrphotography.com

Not necessarily true.

SLR Lens Review (Resolution): Sony Zeiss 24mm f/1.8

SLR Lens Review (Resolution): Sigma 30mm f/2.8

And a part of the added cost also comes from build, Zeiss licensing, faster lens at a wider focal length.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow