Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,876Gear list
Like?
Re: What I learned from Gollywop -- and what I wonder
In reply to Prokyon, Mar 26, 2013

Prokyon wrote:

texinwien wrote:

Assuming exposure stays the same (same luminance, aperture and shutter speed), going from a lower ISO with higher read noise to a higher ISO with lower read noise (say, from ISO 200 to ISO 400 on the E-M5) will net you less noise.

It will, however, also net you less dynamic range, tonal range and color sensitivity.

isn't this misleading ? if exposure stays the same and ISO 400 is not overexposed, ISO 200 would not be fully saturated by at least one stop and because of the lower read noise at ISO 400 the dynamic range can be increased

That's a good point. The maximum possible DR will fall as you raise the ISO. As long as you're still not experiencing unwanted highlight clipping at the higher ISO with the exact same exposure, you will get more DR out of that same exposure at the higher ISO, because of the decrease in read noise.

Which is the whole reason for recommending that one raise ISO if they've reached the max exposure at base ISO (the max allowed by their desired aperture and shutter speed) but still have plenty of highlight headroom.

How about a correction of the above sentence to: It will, however, also net you less lower maximum dynamic range, tonal range and color sensitivity.

Sound good? Thanks for pointing it out.

tex

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BothNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow