This thread is locked.
En Trance
Regular MemberPosts: 357
Re: Qualifications...
In reply to En Trance, Mar 26, 2013

En Trance wrote:

Joseph S Wisniewski wrote:

imsabbel wrote:

Sorry "JOE", but I didn't graduate from community college like you. University of Pittsburgh, Class of 1981, Mechanical Engineering. I really know my physics. Maybe you should shut up when you are out "Classed".

Take this away with you. Light intensity is inversely proportional to distance, wether from source or reflector. So given the same framing of the reflector (model in my case), a wide angle lens will be closer to the reflector and the Light intensity of the same framed subject in the same light condition, as any other lens with a smaller angle, and more light will be incident on the sensor of the camera with the wide angle lens. ( Only because it is closer ) What a simple concept! And you don't understand. You think that you have something of merit to say to a "new photographer" and you don't. Back off a little because you are severely "Outclassed". I know that you have a Rep to uphold, but do it at some other persons expense, because I will rip you a new one. K Pumpkin?

As a mechanical engineer, your qualification to speek about optics is basically nonexistent (actually, as a phycisist, watching engineers project their overgrown ego into areas they don't know fecal matter about (why does this stupif from not allow people talk like adults?) is almost cute. Like dogs trying to use a computer.)

How about postgrad work in Optical Engineering with Han over at Oakland U?

And around 16 successful optical designs. I'm not Caldwell or Smith, but I get by.

To answer your idiotic question: Yes, isotropic emission scales with the square of the distance.

But aperture values are relative to the focal length. If you shoot a model from 5m distant with a 50/F2.8 lens, and if you shoot it from 30m distance with a 300/F2.8 lens, you will get the same amount of light from your subject.

Yes, the illumination provided by your subject on the entrance optics of your camera will be dropped to (5/30)^2, i.e. 1/36th, BUT the diameter of the entrance pupil of your lens also increase by a factor of 6, i.e. the light gathering ability increase by a factor of 36.

Yes, the longer lens will be more bulky, but like others already said (and you, of course ignored), people like the reduction of distortion those lenses provided, as well as the better background separation (if wanted).

Yup.

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.
Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.
Ciao! Joseph
www.swissarmyfork.com

And there is a lot of rice in China.  But to the question, " is Light intensity greater at shorter distances or not"?

You can not recompose the question, so that you will be right.  Be a gentleman and admit that you shot off at the mouth a little prematurely. You know that happens all the time with you.

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow