NewsyL
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,487
Like?
Re: Looking for recommendations for a dual monitor setup
In reply to Steviepix, Mar 26, 2013

Steviepix wrote:

NewsyL wrote:

Steviepix wrote:

I have been using a 19 inch CRT monitor for my main photo work with a small 15inch CRT to put the palettes on and as secondary monitor generally (viewing TV , movies, extending desktop a little when needed etc etc). The 15 inch has now given up and the 19 inch is not far behind it so I am in the market for 2 new monitors.
Desk space is a bit limited so I am looking at a 23/24 inch for the main monitor and 19/20 inch for the second monitor.
90% of my output is for web\online work and my prints get sent out which uses jpg anyway so I guess I am not in the market for a wide gamut monitor, or am I missing out? Ideally I would spend no more than about £300/$400 for the main monitor but I would spend up to £450 if it gave me something special. I would spend up to about £150/$200 for the secondary monitor.
No idea on what secondary monitor would be best so I am very open to suggestions on this.
On the main monitor I have been thinking about the Dell U2412M (would I gain much by moving to the U2413?) or the Asus PA248Q. Other monitors I have been considering include the AOC i2353Fh and the Viewsonic VP2365 which seem to have reasonable reviews and come at a bargain price. Any thoughts on these and are there any others that I should also be considering in my price range?
Thanks for any thoughts.

Steve, do you already own a calibrator?

Yes, although it is a Spyder 3, which is not good for the....

I like the new U2413 but it may blow your budget especially if you need to get a new calibrator because you have an older unit that is not able to handle wide gamut.

The Spyder3 sensor should be OK for the wide gamut U2413 - I believe it was always intended for use with standard or wide gamut monitors.  Much better than the Spyder2 and maybe not as accurate as the Spyder4 but.... so different that you need to consider upgrading to the 4? I doubt it.

Where it will not suffice is if you want to use the Dell calibration software to write to the internal LUT of the monitor.  For that you would have to go buy a Xrite i1 Display Pro to have the puck to use with the Dell software or perhaps Dell is now selling the puck as well.

-- hide signature --

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow