Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,594
Like?
not sure
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, Mar 26, 2013

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Highlights over the line for jpg

I hear the ADL fans, and certainly ADL would have brought things into better balance, but there would be even more noise.

The shot is an ADL "auto" one. He shot with ADL set to "auto" and converted with ViewNX2 so it's backed in in this image. Would have to open the RAW file in CNX2 to figure out at what level ADL was used with "auto" in this case. Also need to know if he centered the meter before the shot.

I would also have tried the in camera HDR with a two stop spread. Now before you guys hoot this down, go out and try it, it works extremely well. Two separate exposures within a split second, combined by the camera in a few seconds.

That would only work with JPEG not RAW(in camera HDR).  Not sure I'd want to go there but certainly an alternative.

Number two, there is no call ever to shoot at 1600 for a scape like this. You're throwing away detail that is totally needed for this shot. ISO 400 at f5.6 at 1/60th would have been close to the correct exposure. With VR, you could have gone clear down to ISO 100 and really brought home the bacon. The best setting for the Tokina lens is f5.6, f8 isn't as sharp.

Good tips.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
lessNew
noneNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow