What I learned from Gollywop -- and what I wonder

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
richarddd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,725Gear list
Like?
Re: What I learned from Gollywop -- and what I wonder
In reply to bowportes, Mar 26, 2013

The idea is to get as much light on the sensor as possible, consistent with (1) not having such a wide aperture that you don't have enough DOF, (2) not having such a slow shutter speed that you have motion blur and (3) not clipping highlights in which you want to preserve detail.

Blinkies are much more useful than the histogram for checking the last point.

If you still aren't at clipping, then you should consider increasing ISO if it will decrease noise and not give you too little dynamic range.  The effect of ISO on noise and dynamic range on your camera can be checked at sensorgen.info

You might have to dial back brightness and make other adjustments in processing.

You should experiment to make sure it all works well for you with your camera. For example, check if the blinkies correlate well enough with clipping and check the effects of increasing ISO

All this assumes you're shooting RAW

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BothNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow