I think Thom was right, again...

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
MikeInIndy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,057Gear list
Like?
Re: I think Thom was right, again...
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, Mar 26, 2013

I disagree, my math:

D200 - bought for 600 on BBY clearance, sold for 250 net to me (yeah this one skews things a bit, but if I had started later with a used body I could have kept the math in this ballpark)

D300 - bought for 650 used, sold for 450 net to me

So I've invested 550 dollars in 2 camera bodies that I put just over 30,000 frames on, or about 2 cents a shot.  Any prints I chose to print would obviously go up drastically in price, but all the losers go in the bin without that extra cost of prints I don't want etc.  Even if I had printed every shot to date I'd still be a few cents a frame ahead of film, assuming I used standard quality 4x6s.

Would I shoot less and better with film?  Sure.

Would I have ever been able to get into semi serious motorsports photography with the costs and delayed feedback learning curve of film?  Probably not.

Will my D600 cost me a crapload more per frame, probably.

Does it do stuff not even imaginable 10 years ago, including let me take sunset shots without lugging a tripod around (ie actually do it instead of go nah don't want to put in the effort)?  Yep

-- hide signature --

-Mike

MikeInIndy's gear list:MikeInIndy's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Duh!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow