Forum ProPosts: 10,535
Like?
Re: Windows 8
In reply to Archer66, Mar 26, 2013

Archer66 wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

Archer66 wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

The problem with software that makes a CD "look like" a USB flash drive is that people end up expecting it to be able to do the same things that a USB flash drive can - when in fact the base technology is completely different and doesn't support the same operations.

Not quite true.

If Win 7 user uses "Live File System" then CD will work like a USB stick.

Look at screen shot from JulesJ "Like a USB flash drive" option.

"Be able to add and erase one file or many files over and over (like you can with a USB flash drive) and use the disc in a Windows 7 computer."

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/which-cd-or-dvd-format-should-i-use

As I described in my post, you can "logically" delete a file, but on a CD-R you can't physically delete the file and therefore the space can't be recovered. Unlike a USB flash drive, repeated deletes to a CD-R will make your drive smaller and smaller.

True with CD-R disc but not with CD-RW-, DVD-RW- or DVD-RAM.

DVD-RAM is a block-replaceable device just like a USB flash drive, so it really can work just like one.   But the -RW variants can't do block replacement, they can only erase the entire disk.   That means if you keep adding and deleting you're going to come to a point where the entire disk has to be read, erased, and any undeleted content re-written again.   That will take quite a while to do - so although they may support the same logical operations, the user experience can be quite different.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow