Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,286
Like?
Re: Yes, very important
In reply to Christoph Stephan, Mar 26, 2013

Christoph Stephan wrote:

meland wrote:

Yes, it's useful as long as you are not to close to the subject. A 50mm macro for example at 1:2 will be so close that any subject will only be partially illuminated at the top by an onboard flash and the light fall off can be quite dramatic.

Yes, 1:2 is approximately borderline for what you can use the onboard flash, I experienced this with my Sigma 50mm f2.8, too.

I wonder whether the Canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 does not shadow the onboard flash at closer distances, as it does not extend during focussing.

It's not just the lens shielding the subject but also that the flash itself is slightly pointing in the wrong direction.  It's like the parallax error in a rangefinder camera - the flash is directed so that its spread is even on a subject about 2-3 metres away.  But as you move progressively closer the error increases.

There have been a few on-board flashes where the beam of light could be angled downwards slightly which helps, provided you don't forget to reset it for normal work.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
NopeNew
noNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow