Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,426
Like?
Re: Yes, very important
In reply to Christoph Stephan, Mar 26, 2013

Christoph Stephan wrote:

Ubilam wrote:

I like the available on-board flash on my 7D and it comes in handy. The so-called PRO canon cameras have no built-in flash so you have to carry around a dedicated flash and attach it when needed, or use high noisier ISOs to capture the moment while paying more to do so.

The question I ask is... "Is an on-board flash on a camera important to you?"

(This is my 3,000 post on DPR)

May be no one dares to admit it, but I do: I find the onboard falsh very useful, not only for pictures in the dark, but also for fill flash - a creative tool which cannot be simply replaced by longer exposure and high ISO

Another use is in macro pictures. I stop down the macro lens to f < 22, and use manual mode and the fill flash to get pictures with great depth of field and any disturbing backgorund veiled in black by deliberate underexposure.

You will need to use negative flash exposure compensation for this, otherwise the flower in the foreground is to bright.

I have a seperate flash but it is seldom with me: I always prioritise addtional lenses over it on a trip.

Yes, it's useful as long as you are not to close to the subject.  A 50mm macro for example at 1:2 will be so close that any subject will only be partially illuminated at the top by an onboard flash and the light fall off can be quite dramatic.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
NopeNew
noNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow