On board flash importance

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,268
Like?
Re: On board flash importance
In reply to Jeff Peterman, Mar 26, 2013

Jeff Peterman wrote:

One reason I've been reluctant to buy a 5D is the lack of an on-board flash. The flash isn't very powerful, and isn't in a great location, but it means I always have a flash if I need one. If I know ahead of time that I'll need a flash I'll pack a 580EX or other lighting gear. But there have been times when I've only been planning to shoot with available light and someone says "can you take a shot of us?" under conditions I know will give a poor image without flash - I can just press the flash button, shift my mode to C1 (which I have pre-configured as my starting point for on-board flash) and quickly take the shot.

The on-board flash is also useful for triggering external flashes.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Yes I think many people would now find it useful.  To be fair to Canon though, their own extensive research with many photographers in many countries at the time indicated that there was little or no demand for it.  Given that feedback I'm really not surprised they left it off but I suspect if they repeated those surveys today they might get a different result.

It is also true that the flash on top of the pentaprism is a weak point in terms of potential damage / water resistance.  On models that have it that have been dropped or suffer impact damage the flash often has to be completely replaced.  The water resistance issue can be largely be overcome of course, if enough is spent on engineering but at the time they really didn't think it was worth spending the time on.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
NopeNew
noNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow