I think Thom was right, again...

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,650Gear list
Like?
Re: I think Thom was right, again...
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, Mar 26, 2013

OK, I get that the actual cost of film is more expensive, factoring in the amount of images one tends to take with digital.

And I get that I don't *have* to upgrade.

But my point is that this is more expensive than a lot of people think it is.   Of course a lot of people think $1000+ cameras are incredibly expensive purchases anyway, but I bet I've spent less on all the camera gear I've owned since 1992 (first Nikon) than one would on a new Corvette.

For those of you who haven't tried a D800, perhaps you shouldn't.   That camera is a game changer, except for the slow fps.

Looking back at my digital progression, it just really strikes me how much better these cameras have gotten.   If you don't think so, you may not have 4 generations of them sitting around, able to pick up any and use them for whatever shooting you do.   Each new generation has given me the flexibility to shoot whatever I did before, but expands the boundaries of photography by pushing back limitations I've bumped up against.    (Except frame rate on the D800 - it's about the only thing I miss from the D700).   High ISO limits keep getting pushed back.  Dynamic range keeps getting better.  Every time those limits are raised, there is a class of shots you can now do that were just out of reach before.    Extra megapixels?  I'm just starting to explore what I can do there.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +28 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Duh!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow