Was Ready to Buy a NEX 6 but DP Review Leaves Me Cold.

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,644Gear list
Like?
Add the 5D II to the comparison -- it's a lot colder than the NEX 6
In reply to Spitze, Mar 26, 2013

Spitze wrote:

Any other choices to consider?. Cost not a major factor.

If your standard of excellence is the 5D II IQ, add that to the standard studio scene comparisons in the NEX 6 review. Also add a NEX 7 and keep the OMD. Up to ISO 6400, I think you'll be hard pressed to find any JPEG or RAW setting at which the 5D II clearly beats either NEX or the OMD. The best one can say is that at unusably high ISOs, the 5D II is slightly less revolting.

If you start looking at dynamic range, your 5D II should really shine; after all, it's a full frame. However, it really falls down, with a dynamic range that is a subset of any of the three other cameras. Canon has a problem with dynamic range in many of their cameras....

I think your IQ choice should really be about lens crops and that sort of thing. If you're going to use new lenses bought just for that platform, an OMD is quite viable. If you want lots of flexibility with a decent crop factor while using old lenses (including ones from your 5D II), get one of the NEX. Also think about buying a speed booster....

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow