Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bruce Clarke
Senior MemberPosts: 2,547Gear list
Like?
Goodbye to the cloud factory
Mar 26, 2013

Didcot A Power Station in Oxfordshire closed last Friday. It's a behemoth that has blighted the landscape for 43 years, but if you catch it in the right light, the cooling towers are awesome structures. Designed by architect Frederick Gibberd, he considered the position of the two groups of three cooling towers and the coal-fired chimney as sculpture.

A friend suggested recording its last days and hours, which turned into a fun project to capture the last of the steam. They will probably be demolished soon, which will be strange. The first night shots are from the last night of power generation.

All taken on the E-M5 with the Panasonic 35-100mm and 12-35mm. Raws processed in LR4.3 (I've been very impressed with the robustness of the Raws). More shots on Flickr, including a few taken with my old Minolta X-700 which I dusted off. Comments welcome.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/

I will miss the old cloud factory, but my weather should improve, and avoiding it in distant landscapes will be a lot easier with only the two smaller gas-fired chimneys of Didcot B remaining. Paragliding is my other main interest, and Didcot has been a major landmark and thermal generator from the air for many when flying cross-country.

Bruce

-- hide signature --
 Bruce Clarke's gear list:Bruce Clarke's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +6 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow